What To Do If You Chip A Tooth

Posted on: 17 August 2023

If you have an incident occur that causes a piece of one of your teeth to fall out, you likely want to have the situation remedied so you can smile the same as you are used to doing. Chipped teeth require some work performed by a cosmetic dentist. Here is a rundown of what you can expect when you make an appointment with a dentist in anticipation of having a chipped tooth repaired.

Take Care Of The Tooth Before The Visit

Before you are able to see your dentist about your tooth, you need to protect it in the interim. Rinse out your mouth with salt water as soon as the incident happens. This helps to ward off infection. Avoid eating food with the tooth and instead, use another area of your mouth for chewing. If possible, stick with softer foods. Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to help dull any pain you experience as a result of the incident. If the tooth that is left behind has a jagged portion, cover it with a piece of chewing gum without sugar to help protect the interior of your mouth.

An Evaluation Is Conducted By Your Dentist

Your dentist will check the tooth in detail to determine how much enamel was lost due to the break. The placement of the tooth in your mouth and the extent of the damage will determine what type of treatment is necessary for a full fix. You will then be given recommendations regarding this treatment, as well as a cost estimate to help you decide what action you want to take.

Common Repairs For A Chipped Tooth

If the tooth is only chipped in a small portion, it may be able to be repaired with the addition of a composite filling. This can be done in just one sitting. The dentist applies the filling material to the missing part of the tooth, sculps it to straighten the edges, and hardens it using special lighting. If the tooth is in the front of your mouth, you have the option of having a veneer placed over the front portion. This provides a completely smooth surface to those viewing you, and the material protects the rest of your tooth against further damage. If the pulp portion of your tooth is exposed, you may need a crown or root canal to be placed or performed. This is a more costly treatment and may require more than one visit to your dentist.

Contact a cosmetic dentist near you to learn more.